Monday, March 21, 2011

Meditation Techniques

As a child, I used to get comments on my report cards in elementary school telling my parents about my tendency to let my gaze drift out the widow during the school day. Not much has changed. As an adult I find myself investing time and energy in returning to that early childhood disposition. Learning techniques to focus my attention inward has brought me back to a place I was comfortable with before I learned to read and write.

Self discipline and regular practice sessions have allowed me to realize the peaceful tranquility I was educated to replace with cultivated "sense of urgency." Shifting to to a mode of internal contentment has definitely changed my direction. Meditation is a natural state and it is a better than any prescription at balancing out the mental anxieties often brought on by the chaotic world we live in.

Sally Kempton describes ways to find the right technique for developing a personal meditation practice in Letter to a New Meditator.

No comments:

Post a Comment